25 February 2007

Calculus & attitude



Yesterday I had to do some calculations about the strength of a steel construction. Internet provides a wide array of knowledge but my old schoolbooks would be much easier, more fun and faster. Very soon after delving the attic I found the books and a flash animated pyrolysis oven I want to integrate later. 'Leerboek der Mechanica', a cloth bound hardback printed in 1975 struck me with simplicity, straightforwardness, was to the point and wonderful courteous. This attitude must be the essence of the 'good old days'; respect and well formulated words. 32 years ago I took this for granted, today it's rare; information is being fired around without any consideration, the spam-age. Some text became outdated though; the use of slide rules & precision because of electronic calculators.

No comments: